Student Finance

Higher Education students on a university-level programme need to pay tuition fees.

However, you do not need to pay for everything up front, and could be able to pay in instalments. You may even be able to apply for a loan. 

If you are studying full time, you can take out two student loans per academic year: 

  • A tuition fee loan to cover the cost of the course

  • a maintenance loan to help with accommodation and other living costs (dependent on your household income)

When you are assessed for your fees, you are also assessed for a student loan. 

The Student Services Finance Adviser may be able to help you with any questions you have on loans and funding. 

We encourage you to apply for a full-time loan as soon as possible, even if your place is not yet confirmed.

To learn more about loans and how to apply for a loan please see Student Finance England.


Student Loans

More help

Tuition fee loans need to be paid back, once you earn over £21,000 per year. You will repay 9% of ytour income above that threshold. So, for example, if you were earning £25,000, you would pay 9% of£4000 - about £30 a month. 

If your salary falls below the £21,000 threshold, you repayments stop. 

The following downloadable guides include information on:

  • Money you may be entitled to

  • How and when your money will be paid

  • Repayment examples an example of repayments rates for when you earn above the threshold after graduating.

Higher Education Full & Part Time Loans


Self Funded Students

Including Sponsored students

Many universities accept payments by instalment using FlexED. This is ideal for students who may be doing a 2nd degree, a self-funded postgraduate course or who is being sponsored by their employer.

Please click here to find out more about FledEx or speak to our team, for more information about out how this method of payment can work for you.


Career Development Loans

If you do not qualify for student finance, e.g 2nd Degree or post graduate study you may be able to apply for a Career Development Loan.

Professional and Career Development Loans are bank loans  used to pay for courses and training that may help with progressing your career or helping get you into work.

A government initiative, you may be able to borrow between £300 and £10,000. Subject to terms and conditions.

Loans are usually offered at a reduced interest rate and the government pays interest while you’re studying.

Please click here for more information on terms and conditions.


ECLAS Students

Including Sponsored students

Many universities also accept the ELC credits from the Ministry of Defence  The ELC scheme provides financial support in the form of a single up-front payment in each of a maximum of three separate financial years.

ELC funding is only available for pursuit of higher level learning i.e. for courses that result in a nationally recognised qualification at Level three or above on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) (England and Wales).

For more information click here


International Students

UCS charges an annual tuition fee for all international students, which covers the cost of all tuition, examination and graduation. 

Fees are payable at the start of the programme. 

UKCISA provides information on tuition fees to help you assess your fee status. This guide gives a clear indication of whether you are a home or international student.  

The decision as to whether you will receive home fee status will be made by the UCS Admissions department after interview. You need to meet all the requirements to be given home fee status. 

The cost of your tuition fee depends on the programme you choose to study and the level at which you study. If you are made an offer to study by UCS, the yearly tuition fee will be quoted on your offer letter.